Crohns Disease - Recipes
Lactose-Free Gingersnap Cookies
Makes about 48 cookies.
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- tsp. ground cinnamon
- tsp. ground ginger
- tsp. ground cloves
- tsp. salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- cup shortening
- cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1) Combine first 6 ingredients listed in a bowl with mixed at medium speed.
2) Beat brown sugar, shortening, egg, and molasses until smooth. Reduce speed; beat in flour mixture until just combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
3) preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
4) Roll teaspoon of dough into balls, dip tips in sugar. place sugar side up. Bake 10 - 12 minutes until cookies begin to brown.
5) Cool on pan 1 minute, remove from pans. Cool completely on racks.
Rachel's parmesan Chicken
Contributed by: Rachel Greenstein
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts Lactose-free butter/margarine Bread crumbs Lactose-free parmesan cheese
- Melt about 1/2 cup of butter/margarine and pour it onto a plate.
- On a separate plate mix together an equal amount of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs (maybe a little more bread crumbs). Coat each piece of chicken in the butter and then roll it in the parmesan cheese mixtures until it is coated.
- place the chicken on a baking sheet covered with foil. Cook the chicken at 350 F for about half and hour, or until the chicken is throroughly cooked.
Banana Snack Cake with Frosting
Ingredients for Cake
- 4 medium bananas mashed
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lactose free margarine
- 2 eggs
Directions for Cake
- Mix these items in a small bowl: bananas, lemon juice, vanilla extract.
- Combine these items in medium bowl: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat together for 5 minutes: brown sugar, granulated sugar, lactose free margarine.
- Add 2 eggs, one at a time, and beating well after each one. At low speed alternate adding flour mixture and banana mixture to sugar mixture.
- Spoon into a greased and flour 9" by 13" baking pan. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool and ice with favorite icing or use recipe below.
Ingredients for Icing
- 6 tablespoons of lactose free margarine
- 3 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons of soy milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Icing
- Beat all ingredients together and spread on cake.
- pillsbury Hungry Jack biscuits (although most any prepackaged biscuit would work)
- chicken cut into small pieces or ground hamburger meat
- BBQ sauce
- lactose-free cheese
- Cook chicken in skillet until done.It should be white and tender, but not overdone or cookhamburger meat in skillet until done.
- Mix chicken or meat with BBQ sauce. Set aside.
- Spray muffin pan with nonstick spray.Take biscuits and push the centers down to create a cup shapeddough piece. put each dough cup into muffin pan. Fillempty muffin slots with water. Bake in oven for about 5minutes at 400 degrees.
- After 5 minutes, take biscuits from theoven and stuff BBQ chicken/meat pieces into each one. Covertop of cup with piece of cheese.
- put back in oven for another three minutesor so until the cheese melts and the biscuits finish baking.
Mashed potato and Meat Casserole
- Spread mashed potatoes in a casserole dish.
- Mix cooked hamburger meat and tomato sauce together (I use Hunt's Tomato Sauce). place this on top of potatoes.
- Add shredded lactose free mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 F until cheese is melted and ingredients are hot.
Lactose-Free Lemon Meringue pie
Ingredients: 1 9-inch packaged pie crust, prebaked if frozen
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cornstarch
- cup lactose-free butter, cut into pieces
- 4 large eggs
- tsp. cornstarch
- tsp. cream of tartar
- cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 350 F. To prepare filling, in top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. place over simmering water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let mixture boil. Remove mixture from oven water. Stir in butter. pour into crust.
- To prepare meringue, beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy. Beat in cornstarch and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla at high speed until stiff, but not dry peaks form.
- Spoon meringue into a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip. pipe meringue decoratively over filling to edge of crust. Bake pie until meringue is golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Tips: Make sure the meringue is piped right to the edge of the crust, to prevent the filling from seeping out. When making meringue, it is important not to overbeat the mixture. Adding a pinch of cream of tartar makes the egg whites less prone to overbeating.
Lactose-Free Hash Browns
You will need:
1 potato Lactose-Free margarine (such as Fleishman's unsalted), melted 1 teflon coated pan Salt
- Microwave potato until done.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- peel the cooked potato and grate into the pan that has a little lactose-free margarine in it.
- Cook until brown, stirring frequently.
- Add salt to taste.
Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions, cool.
Make your favorite tomato sauce and add cooked lean ground hamburger meat.
Lay out a lasagna noodle, place a little of the sauce/meat mixture on the noodle and roll up. place in baking dish. Follow with rest of rolled up noodles and mixture and pour tomato sauce on top. Grate soy mozzarella cheese on top and cover.
Bake at 350 until hot.